Saturday, April 16, 2022

A poem for Holy Saturday 2022

 This poem comes from my book Stations (Wiseblood Books).  

It seems a fitting meditation for this Holy and mysterious day.


Station XIV:  Jesus is laid in his tomb


Wrapped and balmed, anointed

we lay the chill flesh upon the stone;

 

his mother now, released, weeps

silently beside her son

 

awaiting our withdrawal.

It grows dark.

 

And when the stone is moved in place

and when they all have gone,

 

I feel the silence of the unmoved earth

and press my face against the stone.

 

:

 

Make clean my heart, Oh Lord,

that it may be your tomb.

Make clean my heart,

that you may find your rest in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Some thoughts for Lent on insufficiency and the body's theology of need (plus a poem)

The body's theology, is a theology of need, of insufficiency. This is my meditation for Lent; the fact that built into each and every on...